Health - Conditions & Diseases
- Adamas Dobermans- Angel and her PRAA - Our personal experience with Persistent Right Aortic Arch in canines. A site to help dog breeders with this rare congenital condition make an educated decision.
- Bone Diseases of Growing Dogs - A description of several diseases that can cause lameness in young dogs.
- Canine Epileptoid Cramping Syndrome - Known as Spike's Disease, previously thought to be epilepsy and occurring in Border Terriers. Information about diagnosis, symptom control and the role of diet, as well as photographs and videos.
- Canine Inflammatory Bowel Disease - Page presented by owners of IBD Dogs and provides a place to begin to learn about IBD.
- Canine Intervertebral Disk Disease - Extensive information about the physiology, causes, and treatments of this disease that primarily effects dachshunds.
- Canine Perianal Fistulas - German Shepherds are hit most by this killer disease. Find information, and an online support group.
- Canine Streptococcal Toxic Shock Syndrome - Fact sheet, description of symptoms and progression of disease. Treatment advice.
- Canines in Crisis - Information and support for owners of dogs with serious illnesses. Focus is on cancer, but includes resources for other diseases.
- Cheetah's Story - Personal account about a dog with exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI) and the treatment it is undergoing.
- Great Danes and Wobblers - Delilah's Story - Personal account of a Great Dane afflicted with wobblers and the alternative treatment that cured her.
- Incontinence in a Pet Dog - An owner's view of urinary incontinence problems in dogs covering causes, treatments and methods of coping with it.
- Kidney Disease in Dogs - Kidney diseases in dogs - juvenile, familial, and chronic. Information on symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, genetics and research. List of breeds which have genetic renal diseases.
- New Genetic Disease in Schipperkes - Information on the breed related genetic disease called MPS111B.
- Perianal Fistulas in Canines - Provides information and support for owners of dogs that have perianal fistulas or anal furunculosis.
- Robbie's Pet Health Pages - Learn about canine vaccinations and the diseases they prevent, parasites, and home remedies for your dog.
- Sara's Story - Describes the role of physiotherapy in assisting a young golden retriever after a spinal infarct. Includes a discussion forum and video.
- Wobblers - Is There An Alternative To Surgery? - Holistic approach to the treatment of this syndrome.
- A Wobbler's Tale - A personal account of the diagnosis of Wobbler's Syndrome in a Doberman, and her treatment via acupuncture.
- Beacon for Health: Addisons Disease - Articles, personal stories, and links.
- Canine Addison's Disease - Links to medical and drug information regarding this ailment including sources for cheaper Florinef, photo gallery and an email list.
- Canine Addison's Disease - A diverse collection of information by individuals striving toward healthy, active lives for their dogs with this ailment from AddisonDogs.com.
- Canine Genetic Analysis Project: Addison's Study - Research study examining affected and unaffected dogs of several breeds to determine the mode of inheritance of the disease. Free DNA kits are available.
- Columbia Animal Hospital: Addison's Disease - Symptoms and treatment.
- Eddie's Story - Personal account and information on the hereditary Addison's disease in standard poodles. Includes common symptoms and current research.
- WSU College of Veterinary Medicine - Symptoms, tests, and treatment.
- The Bosco Page: Osteosarcoma - Personal perspective on the disease and treatment, including the use of transdermal pain relief. Discussion about euthanasia and deciding on timing.
- Cancer in Dogs - Reviews the incidence of common cancers in males and females. Statistics, epidemiological analysis and recommendations.
- Canine Cancer Awareness - Providing owners with valuable information and resources when dealing with canine cancer. Relies on contributions to assist dog owners with cancer treatments they would otherwise not afford.
- For Jezebel - Personal account of a bitch with lymphosarcoma, plus a list of resources for owners.
- Kate Koogler Canine Cancer Fund - Invites contributions for bone cancer research in large breed dogs. Details of activities and the story of a bitch with osteosarcoma.
- Max's Bout with Cancer - Personal account of the diagnosis and treatment of a chondrosarcoma. Veterinary notes from the surgical operation and photographs taken in subsequent months.
- Robin's Canine Cancer Files - Offers information and support for owners. Includes personal accounts, discussion on treatment options and links to other resources.
- Auburn University Small Animal Teaching Hospital: Cushings Syndrome - Introduction, signs and symptoms including photographs, complications, diagnosis, therapy, and prognosis.
- Cushings Pets Forum - Mailing list, articles, workseet for monitoring lysodren loading, personal stories, and links.
- Dog Owner's Guide: Cushing's Disease - Article by Norma Bennett Woolf, which includes common drug therapies.
- Mar Vista Animal Medical Center: What IS Cushing's Disease? - Introduction with animated demonstration, symptoms, tests, and pituitary and adrenal treatments.
- Merck Veterinary Manual: Hyperadrenocorticism - Includes etiology, clinical signs, diagnosis, and treatment.
- Pet Owner's Crash Course in Canine Cushing's Disease - Includes causes, diagnostic tests, the pros and cons of various treatments, and links to references.
- Vetinfo: Cushing's Disease in Dogs - Article by Michael Richards, DVM, with description, diagnosis, treatment, and answers to readers' questions.
- DDEAF - Deaf Dog Education Action Fund - Non-profit organization speaking in behalf of and assisting in the betterment of life of deaf dogs through education and funding. The site includes training tips.
- Deaf Dogs List - An email discussion group for owners of deaf dogs. Information on how to join - message archives for members only.
- Deaf Dogs WebRing - Index of sites connected through this ring.
- Dizzy's Deaf Dog Resources - Information for owners about canines with this ailment. Also includes a gallery, rehoming section and links to relevant sites.
- My Aussies - Information about 2 deaf, double-merle Australian Shepherds. Also, information on Aussies in general, and pictures of family members and cats.
- Why the Deaf Dog Barks - An article by Gary Wilkes.
- Back In Town - Personal account of training a deaf Australian Shepherd/Beagle mix. Tips and advice.
- Con Dolcezza, An Educated Dog - Personal account of training a dog that is deaf and blind. Includes photographs and links.
- Cricket's Training: Training a Deaf Dog - Illustrations of hand signals, a personal account, and links.
- Deaf Dog Training by Barry Eaton - UK trainer offers tips, a case history, photographs, and book ordering.
- Douglas Island Veterinary Service: Training Deaf Dogs - An introduction and how to make a vibrating collar.
- Introduction to Training a Deaf Dog by Lindsay Patten - Issues to consider when deciding how to train the dog.
- Stacy's Wag'N'Train: Deaf Dog Training - Tips and links.
- Degenerative Myelopathy in German Shepherd Dogs - Details of history, incidence, research and treatment. Includes suggested dietary changes and information about support groups.
- College of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Missouri - Information on degenerative myelopathy for dog owners and veterinarians and investigations into the cause of the disease being conducted on this disease at the University of Missouri and Texas A&M University. Includes information geared towards the condition's occurence in Pembroke Welsh Corgis.
- Degenerative Myelopathy - Information on holistic treatments for degenerative myelopathy by Dr. Nancy Scanlan of Sherman Oaks, California.
- Degenerative Myelopathy Support Group - Established by the owner of a German Shepherd with the disease. Describes warning signs, tests and treatment.
- Spanna : Degenerative Myelopathy - A personal account by owners of a German Shepherd with this disease. Includes suggestions for environment modification and anecdotal discussion of an experimental drug treatment.
- Diabetes Insipidus: The Other Diabetes - Susan Thorpe-Vargas, Ph.D., explains the types of diabetes insipidus, how the kidney functions, symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and living with a dog with DI.
- Tigger's Diabetes Insipidus Story - Personal account of this dog's diagnosis and treatment.
- Yahoo Groups: Diabetes Insipidus Dogs - Unmoderated mailing list, archived messages available to members only.
- Canine Epilepsy - An article by Todd D.L. Woods, M.D.
- Canine Epilepsy - Diagnosis and Treatment - Learn about canine epilepsy, canine seizures, and medications to contol seizures in dogs. Personal responses to questions. Articles by leading vets.
- Canine Epilepsy Network - Resource for all those concerned with canine epilepsy. Site sponsored by the University of Missouri College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Canine Epilepsy Resource Center - Overview of the disease, glossary of terms, and causes of seizures. Also, information on how to join the Epil-K9 email discussion list.
- Canine Seizures - Causes and Treatments - Comprehensive information on seizures in dogs including overview, various medications used to treat this ailment and data on caring for a dog with it.
- Canine Eye Registration Foundation CERF - CERF is a centralized, national registry of dogs certified free of heritable eye disease by members of the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists. Information page, online verification search, research, and links.
- Blind Dogs WebRing - Index of sites connected through this ring.
- Blinddogs - Public message archives of the e-mail discussion group about blind or visually impaired dogs.
- Cataracts In Your Pet - Article discusses the causes and treatment of cataracts in dogs and cats.
- Lethal Whites in Aussies - Accounts of this australian shepherd sight & hearing condition with access to information, links, forums and adoptions.
- Owners of Blind Dogs - A resource for owners of dogs that are blind or visually impaired. Also, information on joining the blind dog email list.
- Pepe the Blind Dog - Provides information for owners of blind and visually impaired dogs.
- Orthopedic Foundation for Animals - OFA is a non-profit organization that collates and disseminates information concerning orthopedic and genetic disease of animals.
- Canine Hip and Elbow Dysplasia Resources - A directory of internet resources on hip and elbow dysplasia, provided by Workingdogs.com.
- Nutraceuticals and the Arthritic Canine - Recommendations for the use of natural supplements like glucosamine, chondroitin and MSM to help dogs with arthritis and related joint conditions.
- Operating Room Seminar - Hip Dysplasia - Information and illustrations, showing what hip dysplasia is and how it can be treated. Includes information about PennHip.
- Scoring System Comparison - A table presents different ratings used by international bodies when assessing dysplasia tendencies.
- TPO List - Online message archives of this email discussion group for owners of dogs who have undergone triple pelvic osteotomy surgery and for owners of young dogs with canine hip dysplasia, who are considering this procedure.
- Auto Immune Hemolytic Anemia - Concise information for dog owners about AIHA and ITP emphasizing the importance of aggressive treatment.
- Juvenile Cellulitis - Owner's chronological account of a Weimaraner with puppy strangles, complete with a slide show of its progression.
- Lilli's Legacy: Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia - A personal and comprehensive guide to canine AIHA, including supportive care and choosing a knowledgeable veterinarian.
- Meisha's Hope - Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia - Information and hope for dogs that suffer from this disease along with its description, therapy and symptoms. Stories of other survivors are also told.
- RIT and AIHA in Dogs - Discussion forum and information on idiopathic thrombocytopenia and autoimmune hemolytic anemia provided by VetNet.
- What Owners of an AIHA Dog Needs to Know - Provides basic knowledge about autoimmune hemolytic anemia and the different drug treatment options.
- Giardia in Dogs - A veterinary surgeon with a special interest in parasitology, describes the infection and how it can be treated and controlled.
- Canine Laryngeal Paralysis - A breeder of labrador retrievers presents personal accounts and scientific information.
- Canine Laryngeal Paralysis - A source of help and support for those dealing with canine laryngeal paralysis.
- LP List - An email discussion list for owners of dogs who have laryngeal paralysis. Information on how to join and public message archives.
- CIDD: Exocrine Pancreatic Insufficiency - Answers to common questions about EPI.
- HomeVet: Pancreatic Insufficiency - Exocrine pancreatic insufficiency and acute pancreatitis descriptions and treatment.
- Isabelle Vets: Pancreatic Insufficiency in the Canine - Clinical signs, diagnosis, and treatment.
- Pancreatic Acinar Atrophy in German Shepherd Dogs and Rough-Coated Collies - Research report by Maria Wiberg on the causes of PAA and the effectiveness of enzyme replacement treatment. [PDF]
- VetCentric: Canine Pancreatitis - Illustrated article covering symptoms, diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis.
- Canine Diabetes - Information for owners of canines with diabetes mellitus. Featuring Dr. Peter Graham and Dr. Jennifer Fry and the Rainbow Pet Diabetes Email List
- Diabetes Mellitus - Comprehensive information and illustrations for owners of a dog diagnosed with this ailment courtesy of Auburn University's College of Veterinary Medicine.
- Management of Molly's Canine Diabetes - Brief personal regimen of a young, diabetic, Old English Sheepdog (bobtail). Explains her diet, insulin and blood glucose monitoring.
- AnimalForum.com - von Willebrand's disease - Article on von Willebrand's disease identifying breeds most commanly affected as well as symptoms and treatment.
- Canine Von Willebrand's Disease - Information on this disease from the Jack Russell Terrier Club of America.
- von Willebrand Disease - American White Shepherd Association - How to test and diagnose this bleeding disorder.